CRISPR Whispers™ Board Game – Features
Cooperative game play includes: solving puzzles featuring CRISPR; expressing preferences re CRISPR uses currently in the works; thinking up future uses. The game combines strategy of a modern board game with the creative expressiveness and player connectedness of a party game.
AGES: 12 & up • PLAYERS: 1-6 • TIME: 45-60 minutes/round
Players are members of a team trying to carry out missions using CRISPR, the amazing genome editing tool that can change the DNA or RNA of any living thing. Changing a genome can change the genome owner’s looks, health, and functioning. But a team’s efforts to change genomes will confront setbacks, and it has only a limited number of turns to successfully complete its missions. So to Win, a team must complete its missions before its turns run out.
Missions require team members to work in/deal with the range of Occupations housed at the following Locations depicted on the game board.
- CRISPR Science Lab: (Teach CRISPR science. Develop and upgrade CRISPR tools)
- Cures & Upgrades Mall: Humans & Animals Clinics. (Cure genetic diseases and upgrade non-disease genes)
- Super Seedy Greenhouse & Microbe Fermentation Tanks: (Upgrade plants & microbes)
- Pest Control: (Control disease-causing insects & microbes)
- Extinction Prevention & Returns Center: (Preserve endangered species. Resurrect extinct species)
- Communicators STEAMboat—moves along CRISPR Whispers Island’s water channels: (Educators/Writers/Visual & Performing Artists communicate about CRISPR to other Occupations and the public)
- Grants Dispensary: (Secure funds. Evaluate and selectively fund CRISPR-related missions)
- Protections Bureau: Bioethics, Regulations & Enforcement
- Public Opinion Well: (Sample, analyze, & influence public opinion)
- Underminers Submarine Berth—at secret location: (Underminers interfere with progress of CRISPR missions.)
Players choose and complete CRISPR missions, requiring participation by specialized workers at the Occupation Locations listed above. Players meet challenges by: accumulating and deploying resources; solving puzzles; and producing creative expressions.
Advancing in Play: The means of advancing draws upon both creative imagination and analytic evaluation.
The CRISPR theme is ideally suited for game play in that instructions and consequences on game cards connect logically with player activities, creating a feedback circuit that simulates real life in the science world. The future CRISPR’ed world will be shaped by people’s fantasies, many of which are destined to become real world actualities—it is a matter of when, not if.
Science Concepts: genetics, DNA, RNA, protein enzymes, genomes, genome editing, genetic traits, psychological traits, trait changes, designer humans, designer babies, GMOs, gene drives, stem cell therapy, gene therapy, extinct animal resurrection, endangered animal preservation, genome hacking.
Indispensable Science Supporters: science communicators, informed opinion expressers, STEM/STEAM educators.
Game is in development, so some features specified above may change.