CRISPR Whispers™ Board Game – Features
GAME THEME & TYPE
The game is about CRISPR, the amazing genome editing tool that can change the DNA or RNA of any living thing. Changing a genome can change the genome owner’s looks, health, and functioning.
Competitive game play combines strategy with puzzle-solving and creative expression.
AGES: 12 & up • PLAYERS: 1-4 • DURATION: 45-60 minutes
PLAYER ACTIONS & WINNING GOAL
Players choose and carry out Missions using CRISPR to change genomes. They acquire and direct research of grad students, some of whom attend communication workshops on the Storytellers STEAMboat and navigate it to locations offering vital support for their Missions; along the way they must solve CRISPR-related puzzles in order to elude attacks by the Underminers Submarine. To win, a player must complete their chosen Mission within a specified number of turns, AND lead competitors in career advancement.
Missions require involvement with the following range of Occupations depicted on the CRISPR Whispers game board.
Mission Science & Clinical Work
- CRISPR Science Lab: (CRISPR science research & education. Develop and upgrade CRISPR tools)
- DNA/RNA Repairs & Upgrades(?) Mall: Humans & Animals Clinics. (Cure genetic diseases and upgrade non-disease genes—upgrades, so far, only for non-human animals)
- Super Seedy Greenhouse & Microbe Fermentation Tanks: (Upgrade plants & microbes)
- Pest Control Corps: (Control disease-causing creatures)
- Extinction Prevention & Returns Center: (Preserve endangered species. Resurrect extinct species)
Crucial Mission Support
- Storytellers STEAMboat—circumnavigates CRISPR Whispers Island: (Educators/Writers/Visual & Performing Artists spread the word about CRISPR feats and issues to workers at the Island’s Occupation Locations and to the public)
- Grants Dispensary: (Secure funds. Evaluate and selectively fund CRISPR-related Missions)
- Publications & Regulations Bureau: (Peer Review & Consumer Protection)
- Public Opinion Well: (Sample, analyze, & influence public opinion)
- Underminers Hideout—at secret location: (Underminers try to interfere with progress of CRISPR Missions by navigating their Submarine to attack the Storytellers STEAMboat; sometimes they manage to take prisoners.)
The CRISPR theme is ideally suited for game play in that instructions and consequences on game cards connect logically with player activities, creating a feedback circuit that simulates real life in the science world. The future CRISPR’ed world will be shaped by people’s wishes, many of which are destined to become real world actualities—it is a matter of when, not if.
Science Concepts: genetics, DNA, RNA, protein enzymes, genomes, genome editing, genetic traits, psychological traits, trait changes, designer humans, designer babies, gene-edited plants, GMOs, pest control, gene drives, stem cell therapy, gene therapy, extinct animal resurrection, endangered animal preservation, genome hacking.
Indispensable Science Supporters: science communicators, informed opinion expressers, STEM/STEAM educators.
Game is in development, so some features specified above may change.